Monday, October 24, 2011

What's your major, major?

Hey all!

As I was looking through my blog posts recently, I realized that in the year or so that I have been blogging about life at Mercyhurst College, I have barely talked about my major, professors, and academic experience!

Mercyhurst has a lot of majors to choose from.  For a small school, we have a large variety or majors, minors, and concentrations.  Some of the most popular programs of study here include Intelligence Studies, forensic science, and business.  I am actually a social studies secondary education major.  In other words, when I am finally finished with my education, I will be a high school history teacher!  For any other those future Lakers out there that might be interested in either being history or education majors, read more to find out what each department/program is all about!

If you want to be a high school teacher after college, the program that Mercyhurst offers is the 4+1 program.  This program is designed so that students take 4 years of undergraduate college and receive a bachelor's in their content area (I will have one in social studies).  Then, students in the program will remain at Mercyhurst for just one extra year in order to get their master's degree in just one year!  This is an awesome program because students can get two degrees in just five years, which takes other students 6+ years to accomplish.  Plus, once I graduate, I will start at a slightly higher salary because I will already have my master's degree...and those new teachers that only have their bachelor's won't be able to say the same!

Because I am doing the 4+1 education program, most of the classes I take are in the social studies/history content area.  Because of this, I have only had two education classes so far, so I don't really know much about the department yet.  But, I CAN tell you a lot of really good things about the history department!  I do not have one bad thing to say about the professors in the department. I know them very well and it is so great to be about to say hi to them when I see them around campus.  They all know my name and I have gotten to know them in return.  Plus, the advantage of being in a small program means that I know exactly what to expect from professors in classes; plus some of my classes are as small at 9 students!  It is very personal and gives classes a chance to have discussions and interactions.  I love it!  Be sure to click on the links to learn more about the department and all the cool things that it has to offer.  Plus, if you love history but don't want to teach, you can learn all about the other concentrations in history you could do!

Now, I know all of you aren't interested in history or in education.  But, like I already mentioned, Mercyhurst has MANY majors to offer students.  We even have a couple brand new programs (public health and sustainability)!  Check out this link to see everything that this school has to offer!

No comments:

Post a Comment