Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Classes, Classes, Classes

So, when I was looking at colleges as a high school Junior and Senior, I was very focused on how the school looked, what kind of activities it had, and what the dorms were like.  One of the last things on my mind was what the classes might be like.  In this blog, I will tell you what it is like to sit in a Mercyhurst classroom and learn from some of the best professors out there.

Because I came from a fairly small high school, I knew that choosing a school with small classes sizes was something that I really needed to consider.  Mercyhurst's class sizes are awesome.  The student to faculty ratio is 14:1 and I can honestly say I have never had a class larger than 35 students.  In fact, I am even taking a class right now with just NINE people in it!  You will not find any huge lectures halls with 500 students learning from a teeny tiny chalkboard at the very front of the room.  At Mercyhurst, your professors know your names, know your major, and know how you learn.  In turn, it is always easy to get to know your professors and create relationships with them that can really benefit you, particularly if you really need a recommendation letter for graduate school applications or jobs! 

Of all the amazing things that this school has to offer, I cannot emphasize enough that my academic experience here is my absolute FAVORITE thing and it is what makes me continue to enjoy my time at Mercyhurst.  (Which is good since I am here for and education, after all...). 

We do have a liberal arts core, which is something that not all colleges offer or require.  This means that besides the basic classses that all college students in the country take (writing, math, natural science, etc.) we also take classes such as religion, world perspectives, and art.  Through my classes here, I am exposed to so much more about the world and feel as if I am developing into a more well rounded adult.  Hopefully, when I finally graduate and become a teacher in a high school somewhere, it will reflect in my teaching and in my life since I will know about more things than what is simply in my major.

Classes and professors at Mercyhurst truly are top notch and lend to the amazing experience that you get when you choose our school.  Hopefully, if you are looking for the same kinds of things I was when looking at colleges, you will see that Mercyhurst has got it all!

No comments:

Post a Comment