Monday, January 16, 2012

My Education Practicum

Since I am planning on becoming a social studies teacher when I am finished with all of my schooling, I have had to take a few education courses.  I know I am primarily a history major, but I must say that my education courses are my favorite!

I am doing my practicum at Harborcreek!
This term I have a class called "Comparative Issues in Education."  It is basically a foundations class that gives an overview of important aspects of the world of education.  Part of the requirements for the class includes a practicum.  Basically, I observe a real teacher in a real classroom for 15 hours to see what it is really like to be a teacher.  I have been doing my practicum at Harbercreek Junior High, which is a local school district about 20 minutes from Mercyhurst!

This practicum for my education class has been a wonderful experience for me!  I have gotten the chance to feel what it may feel like a couple years from now when I am the one standing in front of the class.  Not to mention, it is much more fun to sit through a 7th grade geography class than a college course!  The only downside is that I have to get up reallyyyyyyyy early to head out to the school at the beginning of their school day!  Luckily, I only have three more hours left to complete to fulfill my requirements!

As I continure toward a degree in education, I will be spending even more time in the classroom.  Eventually, it will lead up to my student teaching!  While it is stressful and scary to think about, I am pretty excited to finally be doing what I have wanted to do my entire life!

Well, back to the overwhelming stress of paper writing...I swear it never endsssss!  Enjoy the last few hours of Martin Luther King Jr. Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment