Thursday, April 28, 2011

Five Tips to Choosing Your College!

A lot of the people doing the college search right now are high school juniors.  Being a junior is awesome, especially when you know you are about to be a senior and done with high school forever!  But, it also means that you have the very hard task of choosing the place you will further your education and live for the next 4+ years!  Here are some things to keep in mind while you do it:

1) Don't be afraid to stay close to home!
              I know that a lot of you out there are REALLY just itching to get as far away from home as possible when you're done with high school.  But, keep in mind that there are probably a TON of really great schools close to home that you should NOT discount!  Living at school IS being away from home, regardless of the actual distance from you doorstep!  Plus, as much as you may think you will be independent and ok not going home often, it is REALLY nice knowing that the trip home can be quick and affordable!  I am only 2 hours from home when I am at Mercyhurst, which is great!  I am close enough to get home is I need/want to but still not at home.  But still, sometimes I really wish I were closer.  I really like going home and it's not always too easy to make the trip often.  So, REMEMBER, look at schools close to home, too!

2) Look for a school with a great academic program, but also somewhere you WANT to live!
             A lot of students search for colleges on the only basis of having the program that you want to study.  Then again, others look at schools that seem the most fun or friendly without really considering academics.  When you do your search, find a good medium between the two.  You are going to school to get an education, primarily, but you WILL also be living there for a good chunk of time.  Stay open minded and smart about your choice!

3) Try not to follow your friends, carve your own path!
            I know that it is very easy to look at the same schools as your high school friends simply because it is easy and you know you will have fun and friends there when you move away from home.  But take it from me that following a friend to a school just because that friend wants you to go to college with them does not always work out!  I came to Mercyhurst not only because I loved the school, but because I would be with my best friend from high school.  Now that we are no longer friends, I almost wish I could have broadened my horizens when I conducted my college search as a junior is high school.  I have NO regrets, of course, but you all need to choose where YOU want...no one else matters!

4) Keep price in mind!
             A lot of college's out there are pretttyyyyyy pricey, and it is not so easy to pay for school!  Just remember that private colleges WILL cost more than public universities, but that doesn't mean it is impossible to attend a private school.  Mercyhurst, for example, offers substantial scholarships to deserving high school seniors to be a student here!  Many other schools do, too!

5) DO. YOUR. RESEARCH!
            Bottomline-- know your stuff!  Explore the school's website, call, ask questions, take a tour, and read things like this very student blog!  All of these things will help you become more sure about this huge decision in your life!  The information is all out there, its just up to you to find it!


I wish all you college-searchers that best of luck!   But, enjoy your time in high school while you still have it!  It goes fast and life will never be as simple as it is now ever again =]!

No comments:

Post a Comment