Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Friends, Fun, and Stress

This is me!

Hellllooooo! 
Me in my Ambassador Jacket!
As you can see, my name is Meghan and this is my first post as a blogger for Mercyhurst College.  I am from the small city of Bay Village, Ohio, which is near Cleveland.  My favorite color is pink, some may call me obsessed.  I tend to snort when I laugh.  I have two dogs at home named Kenzie and Ben (which coincidentally is the name of my boyfriend, too...). I also loveeee vegetables.  But, that's all just silly stuff and it doesn't really tell you anything about life at Mercyhurst, does it?

ANYWAY, now that you know a little about me, I first came to Mercyhurst two years ago (it's unreal that it has been that long!) because I couldn't believe how comfortable and right Mercyhurst felt for me.  It is beautiful, safe, friendly, small,...I could go on and on.  It pretty much had every quality I was looking for in a small college, including an awesome History department, which is pretty important since I am majoring in Social Studies Education.  Even though these things made me COME to Mercyhurst, the list of reasons I have stayed is sooooooo much longer, and my blog is where you will learn all those awesome things!
Three of my current roommates, Halloween 09
First off, it might be important to start with my freshman year experience at Mercyhurst.  I came here with my best friend from high school and we were planning on being roommates here.  I was so excited because we did everything together and I thought it was going to be so easy for us to live together because we knew each other sooooo well.  And of course, everyoneeee we knew warned us that we shouldn't room together because our friendship would never last.  But, I am an extremely stubborn person and I vowed to prove them wrong and show that our friendship was stronger than that!  But, if I can give any advice to incoming freshmen at all, DO NOT ROOM WITH YOUR BEST FRIEND! 

Here's why: By the time Christmastime rolled around, I was miserable and we were absolutely not speaking.  It was like walking through a cold curtain everytime you crossed our dorm room door!  I was so unhappy that I actually was going to transfer from Mercyhurst simply because I was having problems socially.  I had even applied to other schools and was about to let Mercyhurst know that I would not be returning, when I sat back and really realized everything I would be leaving behind.  I was able to move out of that room, make new friends, and really find a new niche here on campus.  From then on, I have absolutely LOVED my life at Mercyhurst and I cannot wait to tell you all about it!

Laker Leader-ing!
Of course, now that I'm a junior, things are getting a little more serious.  Among all the fun I have with my friends and at Mercyhurst events, there is also a great deal of stress with schoolwork and with the personal life of a college student.  But, everyone has to take the good with the bad, right?  Just stay tuned to my blog to find out all the reasons I love Mercyhurst College and what it's like to really call yourself a Laker!!

No comments:

Post a Comment